[Event] Us and the Game Industry - 14 Nov 2013

edited in Events
Make Games South Africa is very proud to present one of the first world wide screenings of the new documentary: Us and the Game Industry.

Trailer:

"Us and the Game Industry" profiles some of the most innovative artists in the field of video game design. Instead of chasing photorealism and blockbuster status, this new generation of game designers seeks to make gaming a cerebral, artistic, or emotional experience. This uniquely-constructed documentary affords a rare glimpse into the lives, philosophies, work and play of such industry leaders as Jenova Chen, Jason Rohrer, Douglas Wilson, Alexander Bruce, and Zach Gage. With special insights on the development and release of ThatGameCompany's "Journey" hit from Sony.

http://www.usandthegameindustry.com/

Following in the spirit of successful screening of the acclaimed doccie Indie Game: The Movie, this will be a one night only affair. Don't miss this opportunity to peek behind the curtain and celebrate indie game development!

Facebook event:
https://www.facebook.com/events/168517263350672/

Date and time:
20:00 for 20:30, Thursday 14 November 2013

Price:
R45

Bookings:
Labia Theatre - 021 424 5927
Sorry, no online booking is available

Featured developers and games:

That Game Company: Journey, Flower, Flow
Zach Gage: SpellTower, Unify
Jason Rohrer: Passage, Between
Alexander Bruce: Antichamber
Douglas Wilson: Johann Sebastian Joust

About Make Games South Africa:
http://www.makegamessa.com/

Many people are still surprised to find out South Africa has very active and vibrant indie game scene. As the face of local development Make Games seeks to promote and foster the local games industry in as many ways as possible. Any one interested in game development should visit our community forums over at http://www.makegamessa.com/

In addition we also host many physical events like the monthly community meetups in Cape Town and Johannesburg (newcomers are most welcome). Also from time to time we host more social events such as this one and experimental game parties. To stay updated you can find us in all these places:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MakeGamesSA
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MakeGamesSouthAfrica
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MakeGamesSouthAfrica
Tumblr: http://makegamessa.tumblr.com/

Comments

• Rusty and I will be there. I don't have *many* contacts in SA but I'll promote it best I can; I have a friend who runs a local mag too, I'll ask her if she can stick it in there (Land n' Sand - don't think it's very big, it's pretty new still).
  • *goes off to cry in a corner* middle of exams I can't make it down to CT :'(
  • I will help advertise at UCT! :)
  • FUCK YES! EXCITED!!!
  • I will try to bring everyone
  • Okay guys, I've updated the first comment with some proper event details (which if you need it can double as a press release).

I'd ask if you can hold off sharing till tomorrow morning so a couple of people can have a chance to check everything. Then we can hit it hard! Invite all your friends, all your family, any press you might know. Also if we could get some love on the MGSA social media channels. A sticky on this post too if we could :)
  • Okay guys! GO, GO, GO!
    Thanked by 2Manikin Nandrew
  • PS can we get this across all the MGSA social media channels. Who's responsible?
  • @Bensonance runs the twitter. I'll tweet him :3
  • Ticket booked, thanks for organising!
  • if any one is going still going to get their ticket, please grab an extra. I pay you back on the day?
  • As far as I remember you pay on the day anyway? You just phone to put your name down...
  • Yeah, you just book via the phone so that you know you have a ticket waiting for you. Pay when you collect it :)
  • Booked...though the lady on the phone seemed very confused.
  • Do you think there would be room to set up some demo's before and after the screening?
    I'd love to have more non gamers try Wang Commander and Broforce! I think it would help break the ice and make the screening more memorable. It would also serve to reinforce the notion that the local dev scene is a real, tangible thing. I know the Labia gets pretty tight when its busy and security is an issue but I'm willing to risk of loosing a gamepad or two.
    Also, if we could make Joust/Ninja happen, it would make me very happy!
  • I'd be keen for Ninja, maybe even out on the street/driveway? I don't see where we'd have enough space to put some games together, unless we maybe set up in the actual cinema itself afterward and people can come back in? I dunno how long we'd be able to use the space though...
  • I'm keen for ninja. I'll wear flat shoes this time :D
  • Yeah, Space at the labia is super tight. Also we'll be probably be the last thing there that night, so I don't know how loose we can get with staying afterwards. I think anything informal like ninja or mmo thumb war is a a great way to get across the concept of "games aren't only what you think they are". Also they can happen outside where there is actually space for such things.

I think the emphasis needs to be on pointing people to MakeGames where they can play demos and find out about other events, such as the game party. Does anyone from the committee want to head up getting flyers printed or banners or something?
  • I potentially might be in Cape Town for this :D.

If so, I can bring down the remaining flyers from rAge, perhaps? They're reasonably well suited to what information needs to be spread.
  • It seems I've done something to un sticky this post (re-categorised it as an event). Can a mod pls fix it again ;)
  • fixed. BTW, is the title us, as in we the people, or US, as in United States.
  • US as in you me and everyone. The film is made by new zealanders ;)
  • I've unstickied this until November so we can save space at the top of the forums.
  • Just finished creating a poster. Physical copy of the film should be on it's way to our shores shortly. As far as I'm aware the final final audio master has only been completed this week, so really we will be one of the first places in the world to see the film in it's final incarnation.

The one thing that's looking a bit less great is attendance. Whilst we're not doing badly we're still a way from break even - this film being more expensive to bring out than Indie Game: The Movie. As such I would really appreciate any marketing push we can generate over the next few weeks. Any profits will go back to make games, but right now I'll be left to cover the burden if there is a loss.

That being said does anyone have a contact over at MyGaming.co.za and sagamer.co.za? Even you have a forum account and can post it up there that would be great (better than me arriving out of nowhere and spam posting). The same goes for nag? Anybody care to send this on and get some coverage?
  • Perhaps post in the Facebook event and get people to share the event?
  • @TheFuntastic I think students would be really really keen to attend, so could you send me a poster? I'll print some copies and distribute them around UCT and City Varsity.
  • edited
    Thanked by 1RangerJo
  • Wait... I suddenly realized that the students are writing exams. So I will have to send invites to people online :/
  • Please re-sticky this!
  • Hey, is Joburg also gonna do a screening of this? :D
    Thanked by 1hanli
  • nice poster :) excited for this! :D
  • Will definitely be there! :D
  • Nice. Hopefully I can remember to come. Think I watched the trailer for this a while ago, looked good.
  • Reminder that this is happening on thursday!

From my facebook update if you didn't get it over there:
    If facebook numbers are anything to go by we're quite close to capacity, so make sure you get down early to the labia or phone now to secure your place. The main feature should start at 20:30 as originally indicated but proceedings will start a little bit beforehand, so give yourself ample time to buy a delicious alcoholic slushy from lobby and meet some local game developers!
  • Also, is there anyone who can bring a SLR and snap a few pics? The filmmakers requested it and it would be good for our archives ;)
  • edited
    Bump on the camera front. I can even sweeten the deal and say you get a free ticket for very little work ;)

Edit: before I offend any photographers implying their work doesn't require much effort, let clarify that were really only looking for someone to take a couple of pics to record this was a thing that actually happened ;)
  • I *think* I can steal my sisters SLR (maybe I can get her to take photos too).
  • I'll be my usual snap happy self with my compact (not an SLR) :)
  • Was an epic evening! :D
    Thanked by 1TheFuntastic
  • The movie was really cool :) Cant wait for the next one! Was pretty awesome to see all the locally made games' trailers as well.
  • Here are a couple of pics from last night:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.505562512874066.1073741832.317351141695205&type=1

Also, I have a couple of posters to give away at the next community meeting.

Big thanks to everyone who came through. I think we can unanimously declare it a success! :)
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Shotgun a poster! ... pleeeeeeease :)