Bro Force (prototype)

Comments

• As long as 'MERICA still #1 !!!
  • I just played online with 2 other random players. Was a bit laggy and glitchy (glitches due to lag I suppose) on a ping that I would expect to be smooth, but otherwise a fantastic experience :P
  • @Denzil: That's great to hear! What was your ping and connection out of curiosity?
    The bandwidth consumption of the game is still too high, so when things get really frenetic packet occurs and things start pop around.
  • So, I played this last online build, and I think that the whole server name thing should be returned to typing, if at all possible. It's so much faster, and I don't have to spend a couple minutes trying to get "DragonTech's Folly".
  • @DragonTech: I agree, I"ll look into having separate input logic for gamepad and keyboard. Thanks
  • Here are a few others suggestions about the game:
    *i just discovered that melee attacks can destroy prisonners' cages and i think it's a nice idea but it should also be the case with crates, barrels or gasoline. Also it's impossible to knife a cage while hanging to it.
    *mashing brones' flare gun is sends more bullets than pressing the button a long time
    *Chuck's missiles go through the metallic building in the bombarding level althoug the red lines indicate they explode by toucing it.
    *hanging to a beehive doesn't make it fall.
    *if you push agas cylinder just before it takes off, it flies with an oblique angle.
    *i killed a prisonner by cruching him Under a gas cylinder
    *after killing the helicopter boss, i got killed by a kamikaze mook and thus failed the mission.
    *if a prisonner fall on a gas cylinder his sprite appears behind it instead of standing over.
    *i think a crouching move should be implemented.
  • Also it's impossible to knife a cage while hanging to it.
    Err, yeah. We'll fix that.
    *mashing brones' flare gun is sends more bullets than pressing the button a long time
    Intended. Also works for rambro's gun, you just have to press really really fast.
    if you push agas cylinder just before it takes off, it flies with an oblique angle.
    Now you can take your propane surfing into never-before-dreamed-of directions!
    *i killed a prisonner by cruching him Under a gas cylinder
    That's not very bro-like of you *mental note to not piss off moguera*
    *after killing the helicopter boss, i got killed by a kamikaze mook and thus failed the mission.
    How much time passed between you killing the boss and dying? if you died at the exact same time as the boss, this is intended.
    i think a crouching move should be implemented.
    why? anyway you can crouch in the game, just not voluntarily. Walk into a narrow space and you'll see.
  • edited
    That's not very bro-like of you *mental note to not piss off moguera*
    "Remember when i promised to kill you last?"
    How much time passed between you killing the boss and dying? if you died at the exact same time as the boss, this is intended.
    i think it was after i killed him, strangely when i tried with other bosses it seemed that my bro was unkillable (i should try to jump off a cliff after beating a boss to see what happen.
    why? anyway you can crouch in the game, just not voluntarily. Walk into a narrow space and you'll see.
    i don't really know, just to add some diversity because some games like Contra have a ducking move to avoid fire, and i kinda feel like the down button is rarely used.

On another note is there a time limit to the era of the bros? (because some popular characters appeared in the 70's or the 2000's like Riddick, Shaft and Bruce Lee).
  • One of my friends said he'd want you guys to add Magnum PI. I told him I'd let you guys know. :P
    Thanked by 1JohnnySixArms
  • Well you have to HAVE a famous Mustache Guy too... and Selleck is The MAN to wear it right!
  • Wouldn't that just be an enormous walking mustache in very short shorts?
    Thanked by 2Douzeju duncanbellsa
  • edited
    Alright, so although I was much too absorbed in the Broforce experience and forgot to take a pic before blowing it up, I did encounter a glitch today. There was a propane tank standing straight up, and standing to its right were a barrel and another propane tank. The thing is, the other propane tank was flipped on its side, and its leftmost block was overlapping with the other tanks highest block, sharing the single spot. When I ignited them, the upright one exploded and the one on its side flew off.
    (Also, we went almost five days with no posts, so I'm hoping me saying ANYTHING will possibly bring something else up.)
  • edited
    This was already posted elsewhere... but we're kind of wondering how people feel about it. We want to (towards the end of the game) move Broforce towards the alien horror found in Contra (and hopefully beyond).

But we're sort of not sure where to draw the line with the evil-ness and with the alien-ness. Is there a point even where it becomes too evil?

Jarred should have another boss to show later in the week.

I'm trying to get a (VERY BASIC) brofort working. It's a bit fiddly, and right now looks like a pile of test-art.

btw. Did anyone play Mercenary Kings? I'd be interested to hear what you guys thought. I thought there were some cool aspects to it, but not really much besides the sheer volume of art content that I'd want in Broforce...

But maybe I'm too close to Broforce to experience Mercenary Kings properly? Mercenary Kings is quite different to Broforce, but it shares a lot of the same ideas.

@DragonTech I thought I'd fixed all those propane tank overlap problems... I'll have to look into it again. Thanks!

@moguera I've been wondering about crouching on command for a while. Particularly what I'd like is some long grass on the level and the ability to hide behind it (and sneak up on unsuspecting mooks).

But I didn't really like the crouching in Vlambeer's Infinite Swat. And I think crouching could introduce a little bit of players feeling like they can crouch cheese under bullets... but then they get shot in the face instead.

@moguera We do want to include Clint Eastwood's Bro With No Name into the story (in the beta probably). He's from the 60s ... and we sort of want him in because he's kind of the original bro (I think).

How do you guys feel about Bro With No Name being kind of the original bro and solitary father figure / mentor to Broforce?

Thanked by 1DragonTech
  • edited
    How do you guys feel about Bro With No Name being kind of the original bro and solitary father figure / mentor to Broforce?
    SMART!

Extra smart if he keeps reminiscing about Brames Dean.
  • Bro with No Name is totally Broland Deschain :) Awesome :)

The end theme... Cheesy sci-fi aliens fits, but I don't know if evil fits - the pentagram and all that, I realise may have been a prominent feature in a couple of cult movies (errrr Gremlins? Actually I can't think of any besides the Shining and Exorcist and that stuff), but don't feel bro-y at all. I dunno if I find evil demons etc fitting.

Though I guess Doom had demons. Hmmmm, not sure.

I do like the look of that giant bastard though. Again, not sure about the pentagram and diabl-esque evilness.
  • edited
    @Tuism Yeah, the pentagrammy evil-ness is what we're wondering about.

Narrative-wise we can fit it in. We're killing Satan in Broforce, and there's this sort of gungho 'Murican vibe and power metal. But evilness is not a prominent feature in most block buster bro action movies (although I watched Cobra again yesterday and there were cultists in that, and I watched End of Days last week and that literally had Satan), whereas aliens are in several awesome bro action movies (like Alien and Starship Troopers).

Arnold Schwarzenegger to Satan: "You're a fucking choir boooyee compared to me!".

But we don't know if it feels right... maybe we'll know better once we have the Contra vibes already in (there'll be aliens before it gets evil).
  • edited
    In that context... I guess over-the-top-kitsch satan would fit, but I don't know if Diablo-type evil would fit. It could be like... Dude in a suit with horns, rather than a massive grotesque demonic figure... Over-the-top in an almost comedic way and less actually evil scary...?

Man I love that giant alien mofo, but as soon as the pentagram thing comes in it feels like Baal 2.0 and it kinda just throws me off. Feels like I should be drinking health potions and looting :P

Come to think of it, the only movie I can really think of that fits alien + evil together properly was Event Horizon. So, like THAT?
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Damn! Now I need to watch Event Horizon again!
  • edited
    "Everyone someone mentions Deus Ex, it gets reinstalled on another 10 computers" :)

Just had a thought, you should totally just give your giant demon guy a tie :P Maybe he burst out of the original satans you kill at the end of every stage :)
  • @Tuism definitely one of the best ideas ever created by man.
    Tuism said:
    Maybe he burst out of the original satans you kill at the end of every stage :)
  • edited
    I personally think the satanic alien thing could work, but only if you do it right. Personally, I think it'd work better if you stuck with the normal alien eye, and then just put a massive pentagram in the background behind the boss. And I'd like to say that I like the alien-bursting-forth-from-murdered-demon-dudes idea. I think it might be nice if there was a sort of longer cutscene involving some sort of shamans, or aliens, or alien shamans summoning the alien forth. Also, dinosaurs. I can't stop stressing dinosaurs. Do it Jurassic Park style, or forwards or backwards time travel (they come to use or we come to them), all that I care about is that I get my dinosaurs. And sharks. I was really infatuated with the description of the game that included those things. And I think a good way to implement that would be some underwater levels. In the first few you could just be in a scuba suit in a slightly lower gravity setting and could fight sharks, sword fish, puffer fishes, and that sort of thing. Maybe you end up breaking into a submarine where you fight terrorists with harpoons, and maybe some classic little green men aliens are down there with them. Why does that go with the underwater idea? I have no idea, but I think we can look to 1989 for that. (Look it up.) Some good (mini)bosses could me a sea monster, some sort of tactical submarines, and possibly some sort of giant robot shark, jellyfish, or other miscellaneous sea creature. Oh, and back to dinosaurs. If ridable things are ever added, there should be allosauruses or velociraptors to ride. Obviously the enemies would be the simple stuff, like raptors (in balaclavas), ankylosauruses (with balaclavas), pterodactyls (with balaclavas). Of course if the terrorists are back in time as well, or have ancient people (in balaclavas) there, they'd be riding the dinosaurs. And they'd probably throw spears, too. As for boss ideas, I wanted to say cyborg t-rex, but that's a Super Time Force boss. So maybe just a cyborg triceratops. You could fight some sort of tribal champion, perhaps. And I think that an alien infected dinosaur could round it up well.

Well, this suggestion rant is almost done, I just need to mention one last thing (sorry this is so long, I just started writing things I thought would be cool, and then all this showed up). I think the implementation of enemies who fire something other than bullets and missiles would be nice. Our characters have a massive and diverse arsenal, and although I don't expect enemies to be THAT diverse, a little bit more would be nice. Something out of the box, not in a weird way, but more in a normal fantasy way. It's not like there isn't plenty of sci-fi and magic stuff floating around in the large pool that is the 80's, so if we're going xeno-demonic we might as well include some stuff that reflects that. Now I understand if you're saving that sort of stuff for some other areas, or for deeper into the game, like in the alien setting for instance, but I just thought it was worth saying that I hope at some point it gets done. I think that as the game progresses, the types of enemies that you can regularly face and the abilities that they have should progress and expand with you, making the game more difficult and honestly, more fun to play. Now I know this might be a bit more work, but I think that enemy diversity is something that can really add a LOT of flavor to the game.

So, uh, yeah. There's that. Now, since I know that you guys really just want to expand level and bro count, you guys can stick with that being the priority, but I just think that's something you should keep in mind.

See, look at that. Even after talking about how I was finishing this up, and there was only a little bit left, I wrote a whole extra paragraph. Well now I AM done. I am definitely and indisputably finished. Yes sirree. All done. Completely complete. Over and done with. This is the last word on the subject. Finito. Fine. Fin.

Edit: I just realized I have more ideas and general thoughts, but I'm gonna shut up for now.
  • I think the demon is awesome (mad fantastic art!), but I can't also help but think that DragonTech is right - sharks and dinosaurs and (from Tuism) business suits fit the silly brilliance of Bro-Force best?

Perhaps it is situational - I know that my coworkers and I had a great bro bonding evening with Shark-nado followed by Bro-Force on a large projector screen just recently (bro puns haven't stopped since!!) so for me at least, sharks make absolute sense....

Bro get 'em, gentlemen!
  • PS Bro with no name is a Bro-fect choice for the mentor!
  • @DragonTech One of the things I appreciate in Mercenary Kings is that they have more enemy types than Broforce. I haven't played that far into the game yet, but it did remind me that some new enemies (even in the jungle) would add a lot of value.

Yeah, I think the demonic part of the xeno-demonic would have to be carefully worked in, and probably connected to fighting Satan rather than fighting the aliens. Probably very close to the end of the game. Besides, Xenomorphs are badass enough on their own without going demonic as well.

Maybe it'll fit together once we've got some more concepts to show. Nothing that far ahead in the game is set in stone. But for the moment all of you guys' feedback is super helpful.
    Thanked by 1DragonTech
  • edited
    To my mind, as long as we don't go in a scary game (like resident evil, silent hill or slender), i think over the top monsters/demons/aliens/robots would be fine. By the way, some zombies would be nice although they are overused in a lot of games.
    In fact there really is a lot of different environnement in action movies: Forest, desert, mountain, post-apocalyptic, steampunk, cyberpunk, hell, desert planets, old ruins, boats; maybe even a girlish world where things like bubbles and ponnies hurt peoples as manly as bros.
    I think that nothing will really feel off for a game like Broforce (not to me at least).
    I really like the Man with no name (i wonder what his attacks could be) but i think that Connery's James Bond is even older and some say the first action hero is Bogart's one in Casablanca, so i'm not sure he really is The first bro. (it remembers be a scene of Last Action Hero where someone says that Hamlet is the inspiration for Schwarzenegger's roles).
    Also Dirty Harry is great too, plus he had a lot of weapons (auto-magnum, harpoon-launcher, rocket, Molotov, long range rifle... and his classic 44. Magnum).
  • edited
    @moguera I was just watching Last Action Hero a few days ago, made me wonder who the first Bro action hero would be.

I don't feel James Bond is the first "bro". (Or Hamlet, or Bogart in Casablanca, for that matter). They're the original action heros, but they aren't exactly macho badasses with ripped muscles and a healthy dose of bloodlust (not in the way Rambo is). I think Bond is a bro, just not the perfect bro.

Some have said that Dirty Harry was the first archetypal *bro* action hero...

Of course Man with No Name is slightly older, and comes with an awesome sting.

• I always think that Broforce should have some mega-bosses that work like those of Shadow of the Colossus. With wall climbing and other game mechanics, I recon that Broforce might be suitable for those kind of bosses.
    The boss could be huge, and the bro has to climb on its body and destroy required parts, while mooks are released from inside the bosses body through doors. When the bro is climbing on its flesh, it might try to shake off the bro. Any thoughts?

• edited
    if you still search some enemies i have a few ideas:
    there could be some others animals like bears or snakes (very effective against Indiana), some Alien's facehuggers
    maybe different mooks' factions such as nazis, mad max-like enemies (molotovs would suit fine), cyborgs, robots, ninjas who can climb walls and/or jump throwing shurikens and having melee attacks, zombies who change the bros into another zombie with different attacks (like Metal Slug 3) or giving life back to any corpses (then exploding them would be fun And useful),
    There could also simply be enemies with different weapons, bullets going sinusoidaly or in circle, others going around the floor like electricity, some with a jet pack, peoples attacking from under the ground.
    Some elements of the level could also be dangerous like water, lava, acid, spikes, mechanical fans pushing characters back, fire hydrant also pushing back when damaged, thunder machines producing zapes which propages through bodies...
    Bros have a lot of enemies after all.

Here is a scene from a personal favorite cult movie: Tremors, i think these scene alone is enough to put the guy (Burt Gummer) in the game:

it's as if they used every weapons in existence, i don't know any other movie where something is killed with an Elephant Gun.

Talking about giant monsters, some japanese monsters (or Kaijus) could be fineas bosses, they definitely possess a 80's-90's feel.
    Another random idea: when there is a lot of explosions, bullets, things-like-that, it would be fun to hear a classic music piece
    like in this video (here it is tchaicovski's 1812 overture by the way), it feels like playing Valkyrie's charge when in a copter:
  • edited
    epicfailnot said:
    I always think that Broforce should have some mega-bosses that work like those of Shadow of the Colossus. With wall climbing and other game mechanics, I recon that Broforce might be suitable for those kind of bosses.
    The boss could be huge, and the bro has to climb on its body and destroy required parts, while mooks are released from inside the bosses body through doors. When the bro is climbing on its flesh, it might try to shake off the bro. Any thoughts?
    I can dig it.

(Did I spend a surprisingly long time getting the right screen shots for this and cropping the characters out of the relatively low-res images, just for the sake of replying to this post? Yes I did. Was it worth it? Yes it was.)
    moguera said:
    Here is a scene from a personal favorite cult movie: Tremors, i think these scene alone is enough to put the guy (Burt Gummer) in the game:
    Oh, yes, please, I love Burt. He was actually one of the core characters in the second and third movies. As someone who has seen Burt in all of the Tremors movies, I'd recommend his weapon be either the elephant gun or the Barrett M82. The Barrett M82 is an anti-tank gun used in the 3rd movie because it can pierce the ground rather efficiently. (A similar gun was used in the 2nd movie. Burt loves heavy rifles.) Although I know this isn't in his first appearance, I could also make the argument that he wasn't even a main hero in the first movie, unlike the 2nd and 3rd, and a weapon that was made to pierce the ground could be a pretty unique and helpful weapon in the game (it'd probably only pierce 1 or 2 enemies). Although of course the elephant gun could fire off 2 insta-kill rounds, one just slightly after another. It could fire at about the same rate as Snake, but of course the rounds wouldn't be piercing. Both of these guns would have knockback. Probably just the "stop forward motion" and "shuffle back a bit" type rather than the "flail around randomly" type of Bro in Black or the "fly like an eagle" type of Brominator. As for the special, I think an RC car armed with dynamite would be perfect. It's used in 2 and 3, and I really think it'd be a pretty good power. You could steer the car left or right, and it would create a medium sized explosion when you hit the special button again. It'd have a pretty long auto-detonate time.

Later it is discovered the bullet went through the wall, through another wall, through a barrel, and then through the engine of the car they were going to escape in.

Edit: Apparently there was a TV spin-off of Tremors with Burt as the main character. It got 13 hour long episodes (44 without commercials), but then it was cancelled. I'm gonna go watch it. :)
    Thanked by 1raithza
  • edited
    In fact, every movie after the first one were direct-to-video and they are less known, I would say that it would be better to stick to the first one (even if the others still are damn funny).

By the way does anyone know a good Lundgren movie where he is the good guy? (his only movies i saw were Rocky 4, universal Soldiers and the recent Expendables i think)
  • edited
    I made this Burt sprite before reading or considering Moguera's point, so he's based on 2+3 Burt and TV Burt. Although you have a point, I still feel that the appearances can't be completely disregarded, and it gives a wider choice of weapons.
    I know I suck at guns.

Based it off this picture.
  • well he had pretty much the same outfit in the first movie:
  • edited
    Oh yeah, I forgot about those scenes (It's been a while since I've seen the original Tremors). Well then my sprite mockup pretty much still works, minus the rifle. :P I can edit together an elephant gun one, but I still think that we should be open to considering stuff from the other two. Also, of course, we are not developers, nor have any of them commented on their thoughts on Burt, so this is all just hypothetical at the moment.
  • edited
    Maaaan... all that talk but no talk about Jean-Bro Van Damme?

Or the classic ones... can make him a kick guy:

And of course... the King... a punch/nunchucks/anything guy

Also you can't say the Jean-Bro without the Dolph Brogren... or basically any of the others Bro's as he Bro'ed with them all...

Also the good ol' Steven Brogal

• edited
    i think we all want to see this ones in the roster, aren't we? They are all pretty known for their bro movies.
    Though i don't recognize the movie with Dolph, is he a bad guy again?
    i can easily imagine a JCVD character: his rifle would his submachine gun from universal soldier and his special would be the boost capsule he used at the climax of the movie (making him faster, stronger and jump higher).
    Same with Seagall, in Under Siege he wields two uzis and created a bunch of antipersonal explosives (also i would be amused that his character would be the only one to retain a blank face while shooting).
    But Bruce Lee is harder since he nerver used guns, maybe some Dragon ball-like attacks or nunchakus as @Killeru asked (when he uses it everything coming by would be destroyed)

That makes me think that a new flamethrowing guy (or alien killing gal...) could destroy incoming bullets to differentiate it from our beloved Barracus
  • Seagal's one invincible move to own them all:

• edited
    @Killeru I'm guessing that is Dolf from Red Scorpion? (I loved that film as a kid)
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky - By GOD that was a Good Movie! and @moguera Dolph is THE Ultimate Bad Guy!

Maybe only 2nd to this Guy - Brolo Yeung who was in ALL the Action Movies you can image! Just think about it...

Eeehhh... This brings back some memories...

@moguera - Regarding Broce Lee with his nunchucks, no need for guns here, just like Brode!

And regarding Steven Brogal... would be great to just have a big white no expression face with a long Pony Tail...

'MERICA!
  • Adam Sessler played Broforce! Around 20 mins in.
  • edited
    We were talking about Broforce at the office today, and correct me if I'm wrong but it doesnt have any uniquely South African stuff in it, does it?

Seems a shame to not slip in an easter egg or two! But what would REALLY be awesome would be to bring in the District 9 PrawnSuit:

End level boss?
  • edited
    Nitrogen said:
    We were talking about Broforce at the office today, and correct me if I'm wrong but it doesnt have any uniquely South African stuff in it, does it?

Seems a shame to not slip in an easter egg or two! But what would REALLY be awesome would be to bring in the District 9 PrawnSuit:

755_large.jpg

End level boss?
    Although I'm not quite certain about the idea of including things from more recent movies simply because they're South African, if we were to do that I'd recommend another character from a Neill Blomkamp movie, Agent Kruger. He was a super powered jerk from South Africa, so why not.

(Or there could just be a cameo of N!xau from "The Gods Must Be Crazy")

But yeah, like I said, not sure about including characters outside of the time period just to have them be south african. Although I'm sure you guys would know better than I, if there are any action movies you know that were made or took place in SA during the 70's to 90's, it'd be a great idea to give characters from those cameos or put them in as bosses.
  • edited
    Honestly i don't know any of these guys... (i feel ignorant now T_T)
    The only movie i remember with a plot related to South Africa is Lethal Weapon 2, where Riggs (by the way, him and Mad Max are two of Mel Gibon's roles who clearly are bro enough to be in the game imo) was fighting white racist South Africans during the Apartheid and i doubt somebody want to see them again...
  • edited
    moguera said:
    Honestly i don't know any of these guys... (i feel ignorant now T_T)
    The only movie i remember with a plot related to South Africa is Lethal Weapon 2, where Riggs (by the way, him and Mad Max are two of Mel Gibon's roles who clearly are bro enough to be in the game imo) was fighting white racist South Africans during the Apartheid and i doubt somebody want to see them again...
    Kruger is a bad guy from Elysium, which is a new movie. The Gods Must Be Crazy is a comedy movie from the 80's that takes place in (and I believe was made in) South Africa. N!xau was the bushman who played the (main) character Xi. It's great because he was really a bushman in real life. I think he'd be a pretty cool character to have a cameo.
  • edited
    I remember watching "The Gods Must Be Crazy" as a kid. I remember enjoying it greatly.

As an adult, in South Africa, I came across it again in a social sciences lecture at the University of Cape Town. They had some fairly unflattering things to say about the portrayal of the San people in the movie. Also things like N!xau only getting paid $2000 for the film (though he did get paid a little more for subsequent films) which he starred in make it not exactly the national treasure it should be.

There are those who have argued for the movie's merits as well. Of it's condemnation of civilization and of it's unique position of portraying a San man as a hero in popular film.

However as a South African I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I'm really not trying to say it's a bad film, just that I'm conflicted about it, and it's really difficult territory for us to engage with elegantly.

South Africans are kind of conflicted about everything in our past. (Though maybe I just speak for myself).

• 5. Favorite 80′s/90′s action movie and action movie star?
    Shaz: Tank Girl
    Wohow, guys, I never thought about her before, but if you want to introduce female bros, she MUST be one of them !
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky: Alright, that's fine and makes sense. Admittedly, I do not live there nor anywhere near there, being American, so I was unaware of any conflict over the movie or its ideas. If you think referencing it would be a thin line to walk, then I totally understand.
  • South Africans are kind of conflicted about everything in our past.
    It's good that we're less conflicted about everything now... Right?
  • edited
    @DragonTech I'd love to make a game that explores South African cultural exports (the way the Broforce explores American cultural exports)... but I think that'll have to be it's own game. It'd certainly be a challenge!

@Douzeju Tank Girl would make an awesome bro : ) She'd certainly have some kind of bazooka weapon... I wonder if she'd summon a tank or if she'd suck the water out of her enemies... (or have other abilities?)
  • edited
    @Douzeju Tank Girl would make an awesome bro : ) She'd certainly have some kind of bazooka weapon... I wonder if she'd summon a tank or if she'd suck the water out of her enemies... (or have other abilities?)
    Unfortunately, i won't be helpful ^^
    Tank Girl is actually one of my hypothetical future favorite character, as I haven't read any of her comics yet. But the more I know about her (her boyfriend is a mutated kangaroo), the more I want to read them ! One day maybe...
    Ask Shaz !