First Game- The Sweeper (Prototype)

edited in Projects
This small game was my first and was made in the course of a week. It uses the LWJGL (http://lwjgl.org/) and Slick-Util, and was created for a first-year assignment in which the brief was to recreate minesweeper, I decided that it'd be cool to re-envision the game. I implemented it as a top down scroller, which used audio cues to help players locate the mines. With such a limited amount of time, I didn't have a chance to tweak game-play balances, so it'd cool to get some feed-back about difficulty.
I want to extend the game into something lemming-like, where the player has to clear a path for civilians through a variety of increasingly challenging terrain, all while under fire.

Thanks.

Here is a link to the game just click file save in the google docs interface- it requires java to play
The Sweeper
(Music by Roan John Song https://soundcloud.com/roansong)

Comments

• edited
    Hmm... I seem to be having trouble running the game. Specifically, running "java -jar Minesweeper.jar" from a terminal (under Ubuntu) seems to produce the following error:
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: SweeperGame : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
    [edit]
    This post seems to have some tools for the production of executables from Java programs, which might encourage more people to look at the game.
  • edited
    Did you download the whole folder as a zip file (Clicking File->Download in Google Docs)? The game has native dependencies, which are in the folder. BTW what is normally used here for game hosting?
    Thanks for the link
  • edited
    I did indeed download the whole thing, I believe.

However, you mention native dependencies: native to what platform? Does the game work under Ubuntu?

Note too that I'm no longer as familiar with running Java apps as once I was: could I perhaps be doing something wrong in running your game?

As to game hosting, I don't know what others use, but I'm pretty happy with DropBox for that function.
  • One of my friends tested it on ubuntu. I personally use fedora and I tested it on uct's lab computers running windows. The natives come from lwjgl and linux, windows, solaris and osx are supported.
    Thanks for trying. I'll compile it into a complete binary and see if that helps