[Event] rAge 2013 - 4-7 Oct 2013

Comments

• @Tuism, if you already bought a ticket or if you have a weekend pass, you can just walk past the queue and enter, just remember to have your ticket with you.
  • ... I do not. Gah.
  • Then you just have to get there early to get ahead in the queue like the rest of us. (Insert evil laugh here)
  • edited
    So the controllers we have at the stand (some weird kind of generics) really don't work. If anyone has some wired 360 or wired logitek controllers that they wouldn't mind lending us for the weekend it would be greatly appreciated, also I will give you a cookie. :3

Otherwise the stand is looking sweet :D and I'll post some pics as soon as I get them off my camera.
  • I have @Fengol's wireless controller, should I bring that and we can try to secure it? Or keep an eye on it? Isn't the lack of controllers a bit of a big deal? XD
  • It's a massive deal breaker! The controllers we got work but the button configuration is all wrong compared to a 360 controller so they're incompatible with the games
  • Ack... Can you use something like a joypad emulator maybe? I know it'd be icky, but maybe there's a way to get the games to see them as 360 controllers?
  • @dislekcia we tried motion-in-joy (the controllers had an option to set their input as PS3), but no luck if you know of any software that can pass generic input off as 360 please let us know.

With regards to the controllers, if you have a wireless controller and it has a charging wire, you can bring that and we will cable tie the controller to the cable.
  • edited
    Motion in joy. I used it. It wasn't easy, but I did get PS3 controllers to work for my PC.

Then I plugged in @Fengol's 360 controller to test, and I went through hell to uninstall motioninjoy drivers before the 360 PLUG AND PLAY controller worked.

I'd avoid it if I could... But it seems we're a bit thin on options. How many are we short??? Srsly. I'd fork out for a controller cos I did want/need one for myself anyway (Damn Sony just release PC drivers for Sixaxis already!!)
  • @Tuism, we have a method that will let us use PS3 controllers on a PC without motion-in-joy. It basically requires hacking the 360 drivers to make them think the PS3 controller is a 360.
  • Oh devs, whatever will we do without actual devs :)

So, what, are we also looking for PS3 controllers now? Cos I have, but dunno how they'll be secured since they're just USB cables...
  • Basically at this point I think just bring anything you have and we'll try to get the stuff to work. @Karuji/@Fengol, would that be acceptable?
    Thanked by 1Karuji
  • What he said *gestures at @Rigormotis*

There is a slight reason of tollerence, we still want to be able to secure it in some physical form to the stand so people can't just walk off with the controller, we shall have cable ties and duct tape to help with this for the wireless devices that can take a wire.
  • What a great, rewarding 1st day at rAge. A special congratulations to the Pixel Boy developers on some great networking with Nintendo!
  • rAge has been amazing for everything and everyone, really really. I gotta get a lot done now :) and it's 1am, and there's one more day left. Rest or code?
  • Hi there guys, I've been lurking for the past few months. Intrigued to start my own little creation and after meeting someone from the community today and rAge he opened my eyes. Thanks for the chat! I will start making games now... by starting :D as stupid as that sounds, I wasn't sure where to start, but I can see this community is going to be very helpful!

• Well done to everyone involved at the makegamesSA stand. You guys did a supurb job. I was very proud of South African game dev this weekend :)
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Seriously well done to all involved today! Amazing SA games, so much fun getting to play them :D
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • I just want to say a very big thank you to everyone who helped on the stand; thank you for giving up your weekend to show South Africa and the world the current state of the game dev industry. I also want to thank the developers for the high quality games on offer.

I especially want to thank @Karuji for managing the volunteers for me and doing all the running around that the stand needed. A big thank you to Gustuvo from Learn3D for sponsoring the stand and Geoff from NAG for endorsing the MGSA stand and providing a lot of advise and insight. A real thank you also to @Hanli and Wits university for sponsoring the PCs to run the games on; without you we'd have had an empty and boring stand.

I hope you'll be available for rAge 2014!
  • Was awesome at rAge. Great things happening over the weekend. Thanks to everyone that had a hand in organizing the event.
  • edited
    I wanna thank everyone who made this rAge one to remember - not that any of my previous rAges were forgettable - but this one has been uber special on every single level - We were there not as advertisers, not as press, not as consumers, but as indies, creatives, and pure awesome. Of all my years at rAge (and there's been many), I've never felts as alive.

Thanks to @Fengol for whipping everyone to where they should be, to @Karuji for managing the whipped, to @Hanli for whipping (gently) the Wits guys into the right place, @Kobusvdwalt9 for being Bear Chuck's personal chaperone, @Merrik, @LexAquillia and everyone from CT for being pretty fly (all kinds of puns and extended intonations intended), to and everyone for wearing the MGSA rAge tee loud and proud! I'm kinda sad I completely forgot to get a "gameboy photo" with one of the tee's backs (thumbs on the controls) :P

And congrats to all the games that showed - we're ALL WINRARS!!
    Thanked by 2duncanbellsa garethf
  • There's an article on LazyGamer going through all the games.
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • edited
    A super thanks to all the minions volunteers ( @retroFuture, @kobusvdwalt9, @merrik, @Tuism, @AtomicDomb, @Bensonance, @Stray_Train, @DuncanBellSA, @Pixel_Reaper, Dave, Dylan, and Tsitsi) you guys were absolutely great in helping people at the stand, and making this weekend a success.

Also @LexAquillia, @Fengol, @Hanli, @Rigormortis for running things this weekend. It turned out fantastic!