[Event] rAge 2013 - 4-7 Oct 2013

edited in Events
When: Friday, 4 October 2013, 10:00-18:00
Saturday, 5 October 2013, 9:00-18:00
Sunday, 6 October 2013, 10:00-16:00

Where: The Dome, Northgate Mall, Johannesburg

Make Games SA, sponsored by Learn 3D and endorsed by NAG Magazine is running at stand this year at rAge. We will have 10 PCs running locally made games that attendees can play as well as a TV advertising, primarily, locally made mobile games. We also have an area dedicated to Johann Sebastian Joust and Ninja.

Here are the games we're be showing off:
  • Broforce
  • Desktop Dungeons
  • Viscera Cleanup Detail
  • zX
  • Silhouette
  • Pixel Boy
  • A Day in the Woods
  • Death Laser
  • System Crash
  • Toxic Bunny
  • Bear Chuck
  • Wang Commander
  • Cadence
  • Blazin' Aces
  • Death Smashers

Comments

• I am so excited for this :)

Is there anything those who are showcasing their games on the PC's need to bring?
  • JOOOOOOOUUUUUUSTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanked by 2Bensonance Cheatsi
  • I'm looking for volunteers who can help run the stand for a couple of hours; helping people play the games, handing out flyers and answering questions about where to buy the games. If you're available please PM @Karuji or myself and let us know what days and times you're available.
  • Right guess I am supposed to post now that I been mentioned.

So I've done a basic spreadsheet

Currently we'll just be putting people into morning or afternoon slots. And once we have more definite number we will work out shifts from that. :)

(And yes I did sign up for being there all day every day :P )
  • I just have to know about when our tournament (there's gonna be one for Netrunner) would be, and then I can definitely help out after.

rAge man, it's like this monkey on my back... Every year I think I'm not gonna go, and every year I have a reason I gotta go :P
  • :( Wish I had the money to get me up there this year. It's all about boardgames and I'm soooo jealous!
  • I'll be up and able to help man the stand :)
    Thanked by 1Karuji
  • @LexAquillia any day/time preference?
  • David Nickerson and I will be at the festival all Day everyday haha and will probably spend a more than most of that time around the stand :P
  • I'm excite for Rage! :D Gonna be rad!
  • Updated the first post with the list of game MGSA is showing off!
  • What if we put all the games behind a selection menu like Sos's Achtung Arcade menu? :D

Probably not realistic as a short term goal but we (with @dislekcia) was talking about doing something like this for us :)
    (in particular all our 2 button games)

Screen Shot 2013-09-13 at 3.58.32 PM.png
    1031 x 808 - 709K
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • W A N G C O M M A N D E R
  • I had no idea there was a game called Roadlike, that's awesome!
  • edited
    Just a friendly reminder, that some more volunteers to help show off our most excellently made games would be most appreciated :3

Don't make me start bribing people with cookies, I am not below it! It's only two weeks until rAge ;)
  • edited
    So with 10 days left until rAge. I am now offering delicious~ cookies to people willing to help out at the stand. What kind? Choc-Chip of course!

So post in the thread, PM me, or email me with Julian [shift +2] Pandawlf <dawt> com

Edit:

I'm also curious if any CT (or DBN) devs are coming up for rAge?
  • I'm coming |o/

• @Merrik sweet.

If you need any airport liftage, or a place to crash let me know ;) my household is quite used to becoming a hostel during rAge.
  • edited
    Thanks @Karuji!
    I have a spot to rest my inebriated head at night, but I may need a lift.
  • Other than a Netrunner tournament (Saturday), I'm free to hang help out at mgsa's stand pretty much all weekend. Which is what's left of Saturday and Sunday most of the time.

Can we get exhibitor pass in? :) at least for Sunday for me? :)
    Thanked by 1Karuji
  • edited
    @Tuism yep :) also cookies.

Edit, so we now have 4 volunteers (myself included) per slot for Saturday and Sunday :D

Though just me on Friday, so if you know anyone who lacks a day job/university/school (or ye' know doesn't mind taking those things off) please send them my way! :D
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • @I'll be there from Friday afternoon till close on Sunday
  • @Karuji I can help out on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning :).
  • I now almost feel like we are amply staffed, except for Friday morning. But still appy Karuji is a happy :D
  • edited
    @Karuji I've taken the friday off from work, so I could help out on then?
    Thanked by 1Karuji
  • As said Dave Nickerson and I will be there the entire time :)
  • @duncanbellsa woot :D!

@atomicdomb, wasn't sure if you we're just going to be at rAge or that you could help at the stand so I put you down for helping at the stand.

So if people want to check the Timetable and see that they are in the right spot, name spelt correctly, star signs are in alignment. And tell me if I got it wrong: it would be great.

Otherwise I think we have currently hit our staffing requirement. And if more people help I might have to divide people into smaller shifts than just morning or afternoon.
  • Hey I think we should be sharing our rAge presence on social media more, perhaps with a post or something to highlight that we'll be having FIFTEEN games MADE BY SOUTH AFRICANS that YOU CAN PLAY!!

A collection of screenshots would be a great place to start in terms of materials for promotion.

I mean, it's really quite a big deal :) We should be loud and proud of it :D
    Thanked by 2Bensonance Nitrogen
  • edited
    @Tuism ye, will step up some web-posting stuff my side soon, busy with the whole getting the studio version of zX running smooth (sometimes GM:S is just weird).

But I think if we get some nicely written stuff *cough* @Bensonance *cough cough* and get some people sharing that it would be a good thing.

Currently waiting to hear back from @Fengol about some stuff. But everything is looking good right now guys :D
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • I'm working on a post, will share when it's done :)
    Thanked by 1Karuji
  • Yeah I was thinking about doing a post - but we have nowhere , apart from the forums, to post it. Perhaps now is a good time to start a MGSA tumblr? That way I can do longer stuff for MGSA - event reviews etc :).

Thanked by 2Karuji retroFuture
  • @Bensonance sounds like a plan :) looking forward to the first post then :D
  • edited
    @Bensonance Do it! And we'll link to it on the homepage
  • Tumblr sounds like a great plan!
  • edited
    Wrote a post with videos and links to everyone's games going to rAge 2013! :D
    http://www.thesteventu.com/rage-2013-15-made-in-sa-games-showing/
  • So with things coming to the ready. The timetable is now rather complete. It has the shift change times in, and noting the setup/breakup times for the machines.

I've also sent messages out to the volunteers for their contact details, so you guys can get hold me, and I can get hold of you (If you didn't get a PM don't feel unloved, it's just that I already have your contact details)

I'll be dropping you all an email soon with some info about the games being shown at rAge :)
  • I've just picked up the t-shirts for the volunteers. Thank you so much for helping the stand out
  • We can talk to each other about game design while we are standing there right? Otherwise im grabbing my cookie and getting the hell out of there /jk
  • @Kobusvdwalt9 I would like to see someone stop us talking about game dev stuff while we are there ;)
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • edited
    If I want to come and see all your games, what is the best time / day to maximise content? I'm guessing Friday is going to be lazy and I'm not sure if morning or afternoon would be better...
  • edited
    Screw that, I want everyone to be playing the games :D And if you're not playing you should be watching people play :D
  • Do we have anyone taking photographs for us? And for the stand?

I can bring along my camera, take photos during my shift?
  • @duncanbellsa I'll probably be doing the same.
  • So whats happening tomorrow exactly? Can dave and I come help set up the stand with you guys?
  • edited
    @atomicdomb many hand make like work :)

We'll be setting up from 13:30 onwards.
    Thanked by 1atomicdomb
  • Ok so I just sent everyone an email about the setup :)

It's not at 12:30 as I originally replied to Dom, but 13:30.
  • I CANT WAIT TO DRINK BEERS (OR WHATEVER) WITH EVERYONE!
  • @Merrik sweet, though I don't drink >.> but still :D
  • Saturday, I wanna get into rAge as early as I can (8/9, I don't mind) to avoid rush and help with whatever I can, is there any way I can get in not through the usual queue?