[Event] JHB Community Night - 10 September 2013

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment in the thread below to let us know!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Tuesday 10 September

Where: Microsoft Campus Bryanston, 3012 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg

Content:
- Community News ~ 5 Mins
- A MAZE Recap ~20 mins
- Digra Review ~ 10 Mins - @hanli
- Prince of Persia Design Breakdown~ 20 mins - @Rigormortis
- zX Retrospective/ A MAZE as Catalyst for SA Game Development ~20 Mins - @Karuji
- Open Floor

- Your presentation/talk/game here.

Calling for content!

Comments

• My brother and I are in!
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • I'm in, but I'll be late, I have a speaking engagement that ends at 8, but it is close by, so I'll come when I can :)
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • This is just after the AMAZE weekend, should we do something for/in conjunction/recap/something? :)
  • I would definitely like to see an AMAZE review from the likes of @Hanli or @Bensonance
  • Hi, please confirm then actual room the meeting takes place in. I attended last month and couldn't find the room, thanks
  • Sure - I'd happily do an Amaze review.
  • Ola the Game Dev community should be happening in Auditorium 2
  • @hanli Would you also maybe do a Digra review :D? Just a lite/plebbified version so us heathens understand :P.

Your tweets throughout the week were quite fascinating/envy inducing :).
  • lol! Sure thing, I won't have much time to prep, so it will just be a review type thing, that ok?
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Are we going to have a 10 / 15 min break halfway through this time?
  • I want to do a 10 minute design breakdown on Prince of Persia, 10 minutes for design and 10 minutes(or less) for dicussion afterwards.
  • @Nitrogen: I'll play it by ear, but I don't think we'll be as packed with content this month :).
  • Provided that I manage to kick this cold somewhere painful so I can hobble about. I would be rather keen on doing an introspective/retrospective of the last 2 or so years with zX and why I feel Amaze is a catalyst for making games in SA (should be about 20 minutes)
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Yo peeps. Wanted to come through tomorrow but it is one of my good friends birthdays and I will have to miss this one. Enjoy it guys! Will try be at teh next one. Any game jams coming up soon?
  • Thanks. I'll check it out!
  • Oh man I'm so sad about all the talks I missed during the AMaze weekdays, and today's. Hope they'll get shared soon. Looking forward to @Hanli's recap (from the perspective of wanting to see what I missed :P)
  • Hey everyone. Forgot my camera in JHB so I won't be able to take footage this month. Speaking of which, my YouTube keeps hanging at around 4% uploaded. If someone wants to take last months videos to upload that would be great.
  • I can try upload. I only upload at like .86 but I can leave it on all night I don't mind.
  • I want to come to this so bad, but I'm shy D:
  • @AmyisAwesome Please come! :D We're really friendly I swear :D.
  • @AmyisAwesome we REALLY don't bite :) And you can remain absolutely anonymous if you want to :)

In fact if it'll make you comfortable we can organise everyone to all wear masks a la masquerade ;)

Join us! :D
  • Ooookay I'll try, I might freak out and sit in my car though xD

Which room at the Microsoft Campus?
  • We'll check all the parked cars before we start :P.

Auditorium 2 :).
  • I dunno about friendly...last time everyone was staring at me. ;(

It could have been because I was talking tho...
  • @Chris_Bischoff that is because until that point we were partial convinced you were a myth. I mean STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS STASIS

---

In other news I finally got one of those things that lets my laptop output to VGA. Take that you MS projector with outdated input methods.
  • @Chris_Bischoff its because we were all drooling over Stasis.
  • Makin' me blush here...
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • And on that note guys, I dunno if I can make it tonight...work comes before play! If Im not there, I will be in spirit, and will make up for it next time with like...free donuts or something. :D
  • edited
    So I expected it to be a slow evening tonight, what with the post-event burnout meetups usually suffer from, and was ready to go home early to make more games, then *OMGWTFBLAM!!!* @LexAquilla makes a surprise appearance like a Lawyer Ninja
    image*

And kicks it up a massive notch! Thanks for bringing all your ninjaly wisdom! It was super eye-opening!

*actual photo
  • Hi. I was sorry to have to dash before the end without getting the chance to chat to anyone in person, but I had to go pick someone up. (Not in a bar, no...it is a school night after all.)
    Still, I was very glad to get some insight into the organisation and see enthusiastic people involved ranging from pro to high school. Looking at Prince of Persia & Karateka was great... What a flashback! (Incidentally, Flashback was also a super platformer...recent remakes aside.)
    Cool, I'm now going to inflict some The Last of Us terror on myself. Cheers!
  • My first community night but most certainly won't be the last :) really encouraged to work on my third-year project now, so I made more coffee... hmmm, probably not the best idea.

In case anybody is too lazy to search, here's some links
    Original Prince of Persia source code: https://github.com/jmechner/Prince-of-Persia-Apple-II
    NOTE: It's written in 6502 assembly language so unless you have a real Apple II lying around or an emulator, this is kinda just for looking at.
    Download the original DOS version: http://www.abandonia.com/games/10

PS. I was actually playing Prince of Persia on my phone but then the emulator crashed and then my battery went flat. It actually makes a really awesome phone game.
  • @bensonance - DETAILS PLEASE! For that Battlefield 4 Designer talk at Wits?
  • Was really awesome :) thanks for the warm welcome last night guys ^^
  • It was awesome to finally meet a lot of the Jozi members, pity I was so late, but was awesome to chat to you all :)
  • @LexAquillia next time you up let plan a separate social to the community night. Was great seeing you and the work you have been doing is damn exciting.
  • Does anyone have contact details for Gareth from Autodesk who was at the community night?

I gave him my contact details to follow up with me but I haven't heard from him and I'd like to continue the conversation we were having.